Understanding The Impact of A Staircase On Your Interior Design Project

How Interior Design Projects and Staircases Work Together

It’s rare to find a homeowner that is not looking for new ways to improve the interior of their property or enhance the living space of their home. Whether you’ve already undertaken recent improvements; are planning a full blown renovation; or want to get an interior designer involved for some added creativity – these are each common prompts for clients to contact Bisca regarding the upgrade or refurbishment of a staircase.

Hallways and stairwells are the most frequently used areas in a home; a central feature which sets the benchmark for your interior scheme. In fact, a bespoke staircase has the potential to bring the design of your interior to life – adding a sense of beauty and highlighting the unique characteristics of your property. By finding inspiration within the a building such as its history, characterful features, artwork displayed, furnishings, colour, lighting or flooring – at Bisca we have worked successfully with both homeowners and interior designers to create stunning feature staircases, which bring creative cohesion throughout a property.

View Projects We Have Worked On With Interior Designers >>

At What Point Should Your Staircase Design Be Considered?

Whilst for some staircase projects we are working in a physical environment such as a client’s property, other projects require us to consider architect plans if construction is yet to be completed. Either way – the staircase design process will examine the surrounding space it will occupy, looking at how the home is used and understanding the vision for its interior styling. The scope for how a staircase can elevate the impact of an internal design scheme should not be underestimated. There can however be technical and functional challenges that should be carefully considered. Consulting with a staircase specialist early in process is therefore the best way to understand what is possible.

The 60/40 Split Between Function & Aesthetics

With more than three decades of experience, Bisca has learnt that 60 per cent of a successful staircase design focuses on its functional requirements such as movement of traffic, flow of light, style and layout. While the remaining 40 per cent of the design process is dedicated to how it will integrate with the rest of the home and interior scheme. Layout schematics, sketched visuals, samples and materials are each key considerations during the initial phase of staircase design.

It all depends on the atmosphere and emotions that a client is looking to cultivate in their newly designed property. The size and shape of the surrounding space might suit a helical, curved, cantilevered or straight staircase. While a staircase balustrade can create a striking impact and accentuate the character of your home through a wide range of options. The creativity of your staircase designer should not be limited by the range of materials they can work with. At Bisca we select each material bespoke to a project, allowing us to achieve a truly unique work of art. As a result, we will help take the interior design scheme of your property to a new level.

Ready To Get Started On A New Project? Find Out More About Staircase and Interior Design Below:

Alternatively, Here Are Some Of The Projects We Have Completed With Interior Designers:

Project 5510

From the initial phone call with Bisca, I knew they understood my vision for the property and the important role the staircase would play in achieving this. The thorough sampling process ensured the timber and upright tones married into the finishes elsewhere.. Bisca robustly planned the installation, and the staircase was installed hassle-free. The team were approachable and very friendly. A FABULOUS company to work alongside!

Jacqueline Cornforth Interiors

Back: News blog home page

Previous: Bisca’s Investment to Potential ‘Legacy Project’ for Nature Restoration